Carnival Spirit


Year built: 2001

Speed: 22 kn

Passengers: 2,680

Crew: 961

86k tons

12 decks


The Carnival Spirit currently sails Pacific cruises from Austrailia.


On December 30, 2012, at 6:18 PM, a fire broke out in the female sauna room. The ship was en-route to Sydney from Vanuatu. The automatic fire detectors activated, alerting the crew. The fire was contained within the sauna. The room’s water sprinkler system didn’t activate, so the fire had to be extinguished manually. Investigation concluded the fire was caused by improper placement of the wooden floor grate. The water-sprinkler system’s check revealed the valve was blocked in closed position and heavily corroded.

On June 7, 2005, soon after the ship left home port Vancouver, it experienced propulsion problems causing a reduced cruising speed. Major itinerary changes were made, skipping 3 ports of call and shortening the Ketchikan port stay. The incident report said the ship’s starboard propeller was bent badly after hitting an ice block. In call port Juneau AK, divers were engaged to fix the problem. As compensation, passengers received only $50 in on board credit.

On August 7, 2010, while the ship was on autopilot, a propulsion unit malfunctioned, and the vessel had to be steered manually. The incident occurred at 4:30 PM, when the port side Azipod made a 50-degree angle change instead of the commanded by the computer 10-degrees. The unit was taken offline manually. For the rest of the Alaskan cruise, the ship was operated manually. The problem was fixed while the ship was docked in home port of Seattle, Washington.

On September 5, 2015, a class action lawsuit against Carnival Cruise Lines was filed by a group of Carnival Spirit passengers over a major Australian cruise itinerary change. The news is related to the 8-night Carnival Spirit Australia cruise from home port of Sydney. The round trip itinerary had scheduled visits in the New Caledonia’s call ports Emerald Bay, Isle of Pines and Noumea. On March 10th, the ship departed at 7:00 AM, but just 3 hours later diverted from its original itinerary course, making a u-turn and heading toward new call ports, Melbourne Australia, and Hobart Tasmania. The Captain’s decision was based on the Cyclone Pam’s progress. The Cyclone Pam was rated one of the worst natural disasters in the Southern Pacific Ocean. The lawsuit was filed in Melbourne by the local law firm Arnold Thomas & Becker. It claimed that the shipowner ought to have known about the region’s weather conditions. One of the major issues was that many of the passengers were actually from Melbourne and Tasmania, who flew to Sydney to embark on the voyage. Over 400 passengers disembarked the ship in the first call port, Melbourne. The cruise line originally announced that passengers would not be compensated, but later offered each AU$150 in on board credit, plus a 50% future Carnival cruise booking discount. Over 300 Carnival Spirit cruise passengers filed for class action.

On October 13, 2015, the ship developed a propulsion system problem which resulted in reduced cruising speed and a 9 hours delayed arrival in home port Sydney Australia. The incident occurred on an 8-day Sydney round trip cruise itinerary to New Caledonia, with call ports Noumea and Isle of Pines, Mare. The late Sydney arrival also delayed the next scheduled departure. As compensation, all boarding passengers on the next cruise received AU$100 per person in on board credit.

On May 9, 2013, the ship was at the end of a 10-day round trip Pacific Islands itinerary from Sydney. A 30-year-old male passenger and a 26-year-old female passenger were reported missing upon the return to Sydney, Australia. Both passengers were from New South Wales, Australia. A massive air and sea search and rescue operation was launched off the Australian coastline. The operation was conducted by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority. The missing passengers were last seen on the ship’s surveillance cam footage. It showed them falling from mid deck on Wednesday night on May 8. During that time, the ship was 75 miles off the coast of Forster. Enhanced footage from the ship cam showed the woman jumped first, followed 20 seconds later by her boyfriend, probably trying to save her.

Have anything to add? Contact me below!

PJ Morrissey AdministratorKeymaster
CEO, Senior Editor, Social Media Manager at Cruise Everyday
Back in April of 2016, PJ had the idea to create an Instagram account based on cruising, after he became addicted from his cruise in March. In May, he had the idea to extend it into a blog. Ever since then he has been working very hard at growing the Cruise Everyday brand!
follow me
Skip to toolbar